Long Island Village & Cotton Mill
LONG ISLAND N.C.
THIS BOULDER COMMEMORATES THE SIGHT OF LONG ISLAND
VILLAGE AND COTTON MILL, BUILT BY AVERY M. POWELL AND JOHN
J. SHUFFORD ABOUT 1852 AND WAS CLOSED IN 1959 DUE TO THE FORMATION
LAKE NORMAN RESERVOIR AT WHICH TIME APPROXIMATELY 52 FAMILIES
EARNED THEIR LIVELIHOOD
MONOGRAM GRANGE # 1078
AUG. 10 1965
DATA BY CHARLES A. McNEIL
The monument is located at the end of Long Island Road,
Click here for a map.
Below are photos of some of the old foundations only visible when the lake level is very low.
Back to historical sites